The Opinions Of World Leaders About Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
The name of Atatürk reminds mankind of the historical accomplishments of one of the greatest men of this century: His leadership gave inspiration to the Turkish nation, farsightedness in the understanding of the modern world, and courage and power as a military leader. It is without a doubt that another example can not be shown indicating greater successes than the birth of the Turkish Republic, and ever since then Atatürk's and Turkey's broad and deep reforms undertaken, as well as the confidence of a nation in itself.
John F. KENNEDY, President of the United States of America
2) During a conversation with the Foreign Affairs Minister of the Soviet Union, Litvinov, I asked him who was, according to him, the most valuable and remarkable statesman of Europe. He replied that, the most valuable and interesting leader in the world was the President of the Turkish Republic, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.
Franklin D. ROOSEVELT (U.S. President, 1928)
3) The death of Atatürk, who saved Turkey during the war and revived the Turkish nation, is not only a loss for his country, but it is also a great loss for Europe. The sincere tears that people from all classes have shed, are nothing more then the true reflection of this great man - the Father of the modern Turkey. The sincere tears shed after him by all classes of people is nothing other than an appropriate manifestation to this great hero and modern Turkey's Ata.
Winston CHURCHILL, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (1938)
4) Atatürk has left Turkey without a single enemy. This is something that no other state leader of our time has succeeded in doing.
German Volkischer Beobachter Journal
5) He is not a simple dictator who is after personal benefit and glory, but a hero who is trying hard to lay a solid foundation for generations to come.
Prof. Walter L. WRIGHT Jr.
6) Because of the 25th year of Atatürk's death, I want to express the feelings of loyal friendship felt for the Turkish nation by the French nation. Today, Turkish history even more than ever is inseparable from Western and European history. Atatürk's efforts in this direction were not left without results. The friendship between our countries that has surpassed hundreds of years, has formed the foundation for this development.
Charles de GAULLE, President of France
7) Ataturk is an elder and father of the entire Asian continent.
8) In the life of a nation it is very seldom that changes to such a radical degree were carried out in such a short period of time... Without a doubt, those who have done these extraordinary activities have earned the attributes of a great man in the complete sense of the word. And because of this, Turkey can be proud of itself. (October 31, 1933)
Eleutherios Venizelos, Prime Minister of Greece
9) Kemal Atatürk or Kemal Pasha by which name we knew him in those times, was my hero during my youth. I was very moved when I read about his great reforms. I met with great praise the general efforts made by Atatürk on the course of modernizing Turkey. His dynamism, undauntedness and unawareness of fatigue created a great effect on people. He was one of the builders of the modern age in the orient. I continue to be among his greatest admirers.
Jawaharlal Nehru, Prime Minister of India
10) Men like Atatürk are not born for just one generation, nor are they born for just one period. They are persons who will reign during centuries over people with their leadership.
11) We feel a great admiration for Atatürk in his efforts towards ensuring the modernization of Turkish society by separating religion and politics from each other and by carrying out the Turkish Language Reforms.
Hayato Ikeda, Prime Minister of Japan
12) The ruling of an experienced president who's fame has spread all over the world, has strengthened with continuing success the independence of the great Turkish people, who have attracted the love and respect of everyone, and have created a new national structure.
Soviet Prime Minister KALININ
13) We are indebted to him for the birth of the first republic in the Near and Middle East. This Republic showed the way for the wars of national freedom for many nations. Under Atatürk's administration, Turkey's international authority advanced and his country started to play an important role in world politics.
Nikita S. Khrushchev, President of the Soviet Union